iStorage diskGenie 256GB AES 256-bit USB 2.0 Solid State External Drive
The diskGenie is the world’s most secure, compact and affordable USB2 portable hard drive, employing PIN code access with Military Grade 128-bit or 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption. The diskGenie can only be accessed using a personalised 6-16 digit PIN code similar to using an ATM.
ALL data stored on the drive is encrypted in Real-Time, making it as fast and in many cases faster than any non-encrypted USB2 hard drive.
Should the diskGenie be lost or stolen, the user can rest assured that the data stored on the drive is safe and cannot be accessed by any unauthorised third party, even if the hard drive is removed from its enclosure.
- Secure access with personalised 6-16 digit PIN
- Complete security with Real Time 128-bit or 256-bit Military Grade AES Hardware Encryption
- Encrypts all data on the fly, as fast as any USB2 hard drive
- When diskGenie is not connected all data is encrypted
- Easy to install and set up as no software required also NO Admin Rights required
- Easy to use - simply drag and drop data to the diskGenie or use with any backup software
- Convenience via integrated USB2 cable
- BUS powered - no mains power required
- Robust, portable and compact design with shock mounting to protect from drops
- Administration feature allows 1 Admin an up to 10 user PIN codes
- compatibility with an OS - Windows, MAC, Linux
- Utilises FIPS PUB 197 validated Encryption Algorithm
- Government accredited - the only portable hard drive to have been awarded CESG CCTM
- Brute Force Hack Defence Mechanism
- VTC Technology
- Wear resistant key pad
- Includes free travel pouch
- Guaranteed with 3 year warranty
||iStorage diskGenie 256B Solid State Hard Drive
||Hard drive - external
|Data Transfer Rate
||Hi-Speed USB 2.0
||USB bus powered
||19mm x 84.5mm x 120mm
||3 years parts and labour
||Microsoft XP, Vista or Windows 7, Mac OS 10.2 or greater, Linux
A Closer Look
Why use the iStorage diskGenie Solid State Drive?
Did you know that tens of millions of external data storage devices are lost every year and this figure is rising. Have you ever considered the impact of losing your non-encrypted hard drive or USB flash memory key? Your data would be at the mercy of anyone who stumbles across it. Your personal videos may appear on YouTube, your business data sent to a competitor, your personal and financial information used for fraudulent purposes.
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) now has the power to fine businesses and government bodies up to £500,000 for serious breaches of the Data Protection Act. This includes the loss of an unencrypted portable hard drive or USB flash memory key that contains customer data. The ICO has been very clear in advising businesses to encrypt all data that workers access, they also recognise that data which is encrypted and lost or stolen is not vulnerable to compromise.
Loss of confidential data can have a devastating effect on both businesses and consumers. It could lead to a hefty fine, the downfall of a business, embarrassment, job losses and adverse media focus. The diskGenie can protect you against all of this.
How does it work?
- Step 1 - Plug integrated USB2 cable in to any PC, MAC or Linux system
- Step 2 - Enter your personal 6-16 digit PIN on the alphanumeric keypad
- Step 3 - You're up and running
Once access to the diskGenie is granted by entering the correct 6-16 digit PIN, data can be copied to the diskGenie using any off the shelf backup software, or simply drag and drop files and directories using Windows Explorer. Once the diskGenie is disconnected, all data is encrypted and cannot be accessed unless the correct PIN is entered.
Military strength Hardware encryption
The encryption chipset incorporated within the diskGenie encrypts all data using 128-bit or 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption. The diskGenie is the only USB hard drive to be awarded the CESG CCTM government accreditation. The diskGenie also utilises FIPS PUB 197 validated Encryption Algorithm.
The recommended standard for symmetric encryption is AES (advanced Encryption Standard). The Committee of National Security Systems (CNSS) rates the AES algorithm as acceptable for encrypting top secret data on their AES policy fact sheet, stating “The design and strength of all key lengths of the AES algorithm (i.e. 128,192 and 256) are sufficient to protect classified information up to the SECRET level. TOP Secret information will require use of either the 192 or 256 key lengths.”
Brute Force Hack Defence Mechanism
The diskGenie uses a three pronged approach to protect against a Brute Force Attack. The first step is to deny access to the drive until the drive can verify the user PIN. After six incorrect attempts the drive will lock itself, requiring the drive to be disconnected and then reconnected. This feature blocks automated attempts to enter PIN numbers. Lastly, after one hundred incorrect PIN attempts, the diskGenie assumes it is being attacked and will destroy the encryption key and lock itself, rendering the data useless and requiring a total reset and reformat to redeploy the diskGenie.
The diskGenie also incorporates Variable Time Circuit (VTC) technology, which thwarts “timing attacks” aimed at accessing the drive by studying the behaviour and infiltrating diskGenie’s electronics.
What is the difference between software and hardware encryption?
- Complex passwords can be cracked easily and quickly with a Brute Force Attack
- Simple password cracking software is readily available on the internet, often free of charge
- Software encryption is vulnerable to key loggers – where every key pressed is logged in either a software or hardware key logger
- Software encryption can be corrupted by viruses
- Software encryption is much slower when compared to hardware encryption
- Software encryption needs to be installed on each computer that the external storage device is used on
- The diskGenie cannot be brute force attacked
- The diskGenie is not vulnerable to keyloggers as the PIN is entered on the unit rather than the keyboard
- The diskGenie is not vulnerable to malware or viruses
- Encryption is performed in real-time thus there is no speed degradation
- No software or drivers are required
- iStorage diskGenie Drive with integrated cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Auxiliary power cable & neoprene travel pouch